Tuesday, April 10, 2018

My One Month Teaching Experience

Growing up my parents being both teachers who poured their life into their job made me realize how beautiful yet tiring teaching is. Thus I decided to be a teacher to inspire students the way they did. I haven't finished my teaching diploma yet but i applied to the school I used to learn in last summer, so when they needed a teacher to substitute they choose me to teach for a month. Teaching in the school I used to learn in was a dream come true. I used to set in these very seats when I acquired my passion for science and I was hoping I could help my students find that passion. However, as a went around asking for their names and checking how they felt about science I was surprised that my students hated science, and the reason was their teacher. After I heard most students from grade 1,2, 5, and 6, say the same thing I knew I needed to be different to do things she does not do, however I still needed to be myself. One of the things I tried to focus on is to give my students a chance, hear them out, although their questions might be silly sometimes or too complicated, I did my best to give them answers with the knowledge I had while staying within their comprehension span. Another thing I focused in is to include all students during lesson explanation, and keeping them all engaged at the same time. I had to move around, call on students, and ask them to come to the board to write or read off the book. As to class management I have to admit it was really hard. The students are used to noisy periods, where some students would take advantage of their teacher and would get kicked from class sometimes. I put in mind that kicking students out was not an option and what happens in class can be resolved internally. In addition, I tried making science class more interesting, and with the help of the coordinator I showed my students grasshoppers, and conducted an experiment with them, I incorporated cooperative learning, used the microscope with my students and prepared slides with their help, and used the concept attainment model...If it was not for the stress and the pressure I felt juggling school and university I would say I had a great experience. Of course this month was not perfect but I am proud to say that my students look happy when they see me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parent Involvement in Science Learning

If you think it is the science teacher's job exclusively to instill the love and curiosity of the subject in students - think again. Par...